the pencil runs

posts on running

Running safely

I've been running on the streets for about two years now and there have been a couple of times when I've nearly gotten into an accident. A father of a teenage girl was killed by a motorbike while running in my neighbourhood, and everytime I run near my home, I invariably think of his family's loss, and what we can do to keep ourselves safe.

These are some rules I try to adhere to:

1. Run on the pavement rather than on the road.
2. Always check for turning vehicles in both directions, even when it is a quiet road.
3. When there is no pavement and you have to run on the road, don't listen to loud music.
4. Don't assume a car's direction.

The fourth rule was something I picked up after a few near accidents. One time, I was running into Labrador Park and there was a huge lorry about to move off. I thought the lorry was going to reverse out so I ran in front of the lorry, but I was wrong. The lorry had to brake for me.

The other time, I was running on Nassim Road, where there were a lot of driveways. There was a car halfway out the driveway and I assumed it was reversing out of the driveway so I ran in front -- turned out it was driving into his house instead.

What are some rules you have to be safe?
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »

» Post a Comment