the pencil runs

posts on running

'cuse me. do you overpronate?

After an early morning 12km run on Saturday, I trooped down to Suntec for the Runner's Day exhibition to get a free podiatry consultation and a free fitness test. For the free fitness test, you had to lie still for five minutes and the Polar watch would calculate your fitness level from your resting heart rate and rate of change. Although I've had coffee AND a long run before the fitness test (both not recommended), I took the test anyway and they told me that I was `elite' for my age group and sex. Sweet. Now I feel like a gurkha. :)

The wait for the podiatry consultation took much longer. When it was finally my turn, I had to run and step on this sensor board for the computer to analyse how I run. The podiatrist also asked me to show him where my hips were and he did a few measurements. I had hoped that the podiatrist would tell me that I was biomechanically effecient (haha! wishful thinking!) and I had nothing to worry about, but no, he told me,
  1. My foot collapses in (overpronate) when I run, more so on my right foot,
  2. I am slightly bow-legged and therefore my foot is prone to collapsing in even when I stand, and
  3. I have a heavy step.
The prescription meted out was a `control' type of shoe. Various brands name this type of shoes differently, but a common characteristic of `control' shoes is a duo-density sole for support. Basically runners who overpronate need a little extra support to compensate overpronation. The hardworking podiatrist took a look at my old shoes and told me that they were the right kind of shoes but that they were so old and gone that they were of no use any more.

So I decided that I would either get the Adidas Supernova Control, the Adidas Adistar Control, or the Asics GT-2100. Took a bus to Queensway, tried the Supernova on one foot and the Asics on the other and decided to get the Asics because it fit better.

These are my new shoes. :)

PICT1916

The Asics GT-2100 is a step up from my old pair, the Asics GT-1090, costing about $20 more. It was named Editor's Choice by the folks at Runner's World in 2004. It has a duo-density sole (the grey portion is denser than the white), personlised heel fit, reflective strips, moisture management sockliner, etc. etc. etc. I like. :) The only issue I have with the shoes are that the laces are too short. Aw well.

AdiĆ³s, mi amigo. You've served well. Now you get to retire. :)
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »

» Post a Comment