the pencil runs

posts on running

10k in 59mins 23secs

10km in East Coast, Australia, Jul 2004

Yesterday was the first time I did the 10k under an hour. I did my first 10k in Australia in 1hr 8mins and have always wanted to break the hour mark, but strangely, when I finally did it yesterday, it didn't feel extraordinary.

Perhaps I've been reading too many blogs of runners who finish it in 45mins or so. Comparing myself to them doesn't help the ego, but I must remember: running is a recreational hobby to me; I've never been on a track team, never had a running coach, and everything I know and do I've picked up on my own or with my friend. That makes me feel somewhat better.

I started running for a strange reason. I was sitting beside my friend who had been running regularly. I noticed that her thighs were like iron, and I wanted iron thighs too! So I started running. I remember my first run. I did 4 rounds in my neighbourhood ( 3.6km) and when I stopped, I had to sit down and keep my head down to keep my heart from popping right out. I remember watching the sweat fall from my face like, or I thought then, the great drops of blood at Gethsemane.

I've come a long way since then. And I have iron thighs to boot. :) What were your reasons why you started running? And now, looking back, did running meet all your expectations?

| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »

» Post a Comment